Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Land of the Long Pink Cloud


Today after school the girls and I watched a storm come moving in in long, foggy, white shafts against the mountain the other side of the Ngaio gorge from us. Like idiots, we stood there and watched it blowing towards us instead of running for cover like the more sensible people around us were doing. We were awestruck. And wet.

It rained violently (I wish I had another word for rain here-this was so much wetter than rain) for the next hour and a half. Then, just as the sun was setting, the clouds broke. A strip of brilliant blue streaked the horizon and we were treated to one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen. I tried really hard to capture it, but alas, this sky required a much better picture-taker with a much wider lens.

The Maori name for New Zealand is Aoteroa, which means "Land of the Long White Cloud." It is skies like this one that demonstrate why those people so long ago named it as such. What a beautiful sky it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. That said, I wonder if the clouds used to be "long white" and now there is reflection off the pollutant particles making all the color. I wonder if there is any way to compare? Curious.
love, m

Brandie said...

What gorgeous photos! I think the photo taker did just great!